Veterinary Pharmacy Technician
Under the direct supervision of the Practice Manager the pharmacy assistant keeps the day to day needs of the pharmacy. This includes educating clients about medications, filling medications, calling in prescriptions to outside sources as well as our own online store. The pharmacy assistant works to keep the electronic medical record up to date. It is also the pharmacy assistants’ duty to ensure that they answer all the clients’ questions prior to them leaving and that client expectations are exceeded at every visit.
- Have knowledge of general medical terminology
- Ability to assist the veterinarian with patients in exam rooms and educate about medication.
- Possess knowledge about intestinal parasites and medication dosing.
- Ability to make appointments for clients in computer system.
- Provide education and support to veterinarians as needed.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- RVT or CVPT Desired, but not required
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Diplomatic social skills to maintain the highest level of cooperation to team members in other areas of the hospital.
- Motivated to the highest level of customer satisfaction
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain and relay information with those contacted throughout the course of the work day.
Ability to lift 35 lbs. without assistance
Ability to open/close various types of containers with or without tools.
Ability to use step ladder and stool.
Ability to reach above your head with arms stretched holding product.
Ability to bend down or squat or use stairs to basement.
- Ability to walk various types of terrain around the facility
Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
- Maintain pharmacy message center
- Check and document pharmacy voicemail messages
- Send prescription refill authorizations to appropriate DVMS
- Perform auto-refills
- Check pharmacy email
- Authorize or decline prescription requests through Vetsource
- Monitor pharmacy area for faxed prescription requests
- Authorize or decline faxed prescription requests
- Fill prescriptions based upon DVM instruction
- Label filled prescriptions with correct pet, dosing, storage information
- Write written prescriptions on appropriate RX paper or through Impromed and forward for DVM signature
- Contact compounding pharmacies for prescription information and cost
- Place orders for new or refill prescriptions through compounding pharmacy
- Report and document adverse reactions appropriately
- Create callbacks as needed/instructed
- Prepare heartworm preventions as requested
- Prepare flea preventions as requested
Submit Resume by Email:
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Send Resume by Mail:
Animal Hospital Inc.
Mary LeMay, HR/Inventory Assistant
2735 SOM Center Rd.
Willoughby Hills, OH 44094
Send Resume by Fax:
Attn: Mary LeMay