Autumn Health Hazards

Most pet owners may be aware of the more common autumn hazards, Halloween candy like raisins chocolate and sugar free gum.  There are actually many less well known toxins your pet may “fall” into this autumn season that are all around us.

 Chrysanthemums:

The sap in the leaves contains oxalic salts.

 Ingestion results in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, drooling and lack of appetite.

Cherry, apple, peach:

Not only are the seeds and pits toxic if chewed, the fallen, wilted leaves contain a relatively large amount of cyanide and cyanide precursors.

Cyanide is created when two different components in the plant come together. In the in-tact leaf the two components never meet. When the plant is destroyed or wilted cyanide is produced. Cyanide is lethal because it reacts with iron in the body to stop cellular respiration, affectively suffocating the animal.  Some symptoms include labored breathing and incoordination.

Red maple:

When dogs eat the fallen leaves, it can affect the way their red blood cells function, causing hemolytic anemia   . The signs of this type of poisoning include lethargy, and abdominal pain.

Walnuts:

Once they start to decompose, they grow mold called penitrem A. that can cause tremors and seizures.

Horse chestnuts:

An animal may experience vomiting or diarrhea after eating horse chestnuts. In severe cases, pets may stagger, tremble or have trouble breathing.

Oak trees and acorns:

Gallotannin, which is found in young oak leaves as well as acorns, can cause tiredness, pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and it can damage the liver and kidneys.

If swallowed whole, the acorns can cause intestinal blockages.